Via San Luca 4
|( See the map )|
|Roll 1614||Level 2||Titular Giacomo Gentile|
Owned by the Spinola family in the 12th century, the building stands along the ancient carrubeus maior (via San Luca) and displays the persisting interest of genoese aristocracy for sea and trade. Though radically changed, the building is a typical example of branched expansion, the architectural structure features a complex aggregative scheme which might include important buildings among which the renowned Goffredo Spinola Palace (between 1588 and 1599 it appears in the "palazzi dei rolli") and is located in Vico del Serriglio 1 as well as the ancient church of San Raffaele.
The family of Giacomo Gentile lived here and probably rented it around 1614.
The building was further enlarged in 1686 and a flyover was built which connected in to the seashore.
In the 19th century Gerolamo Spinola Pallavicini sold it to the heirs of Gentile himself who made further changes, namely the reduction of the wide porch (20th century) and the elimination of some side entrances.