Via San Lorenzo 5
|( See the map )|
|Roll 1664||Level 4||Titular Gio. Batta Centurione|
This building was erected in the 1600's by the Centurione family on the Croce di Canneto cross roads, but in 1843 the entrance was modified so as to open onto the new Carlo Alberto cart-track, present day Via San Lorenzo.
The scholar and patriot Lorenzo Costa (La Spezia, 1798 - 1861), who received the building upon his marriage to Francesca Boggiano, is to be given credito for adding the large neoclassical loggia and frieze, commissioned from Santo Vanni in 1860. The frieze commemorates Giacomo Lomellini, who in 1746 confronted the cannons to address the insurgent populace from the doorway of Palazzo Ducale.
The building is of accomplished and noble style and features a terrace standing above shops, adorned by an ornamental fountain and statue of Venus. To the south, the building spans across a historic crossroads which in the Middle Ages was surrounded by mansions belonging to the de Columnis "albergo", an aggregation of aristocratic families.