Via Garibaldi 8 - Lazzaro e Giacomo Spinola
|( See the map )|
|Founder||Lazzaro e Giacomo Spinola|
|Roll 1588||Level 2||Titular Lazzaro Spinola q. Federico|
|Roll 1599||Level 2||Titular Lazzaro Spinola q. Federico|
|Roll 1614||Level 1||Titular Gio. Batta Adorno|
|Roll 1664||Level 3||Titular Filippo Adorno|
The cousins Lazzaro and Giacomo Spinola commissioned the building between 1583 and 1588. The building's distinguishing feature is that of constituting two distinct, symmetrical residences, which are nonetheless joined, thus forming a single unit. This feature may be noted from outside the building by virtue of two twin portals. The two separate properties, which later fell under the ownership first of the Cattaneo and subsequently of the Adorno families, determined the various styles in which the building's interior is decorated.
Beyond the portal bearing street number 10, a decorative 1624 fresco by Lazzaro Tavarrone on the atrium's vault celebrates a battle scene involving Antonietto Adorno, an ancestor of the owners. In the hall on the piano nobile, another fresco by Lazzaro Tavarone depicts the meeting between Urbano VI in Genoa and Doge Antoniotto Adorno.
Other drawing rooms whose vaults are frescoed with mythological creatures contain valuable furnishings and knick-knacks, along with part of a rich and well-known collection of paintings including distinguished paintings produced between the 16th and 17th centuries.