Via Garibaldi 11 - Luca Grimaldi
|( See the map )|
|Roll 1576||Level 2||Titular Luca Grimaldi q. Gerolamo|
|Roll 1588||Level 2||Titular Luca Grimaldi q. Gerolamo|
|Roll 1599||Level 1||Titular Luca Grimaldi q. Gerolamo|
|Roll 1614||Level 1||Titular Luca Grimaldi|
|Roll 1664||Level 1||Titular Federico de Franchi|
The original building was built for Luca Grimaldi before work on the Strada Nuova was begun, between 1530 and 1540. In 1711, the building fell into the hands of the Brignole-Sale family, who already lived in Palazzo Rosso.
The sixteenth-century building, whose entrance opened out on Salita san Francesco, was demolished and rebuilt by the architect Giacomo Viano, in accordance with the main architectural standards of streets of the period. In 1889, Maria Brignole-Sale De Ferrari, Duchess of Galliera, left the building to the Commune of Genoa so that it could house a civic museum that the city still lacked. After having crossed the monumental atrium, occupying a space that had previously constituted a roof garden, one reaches the actual ground floor by means of a large staircase ornamented with two large statues of Janus and Jove sculpted by Pierre Franqueville and placed within the sixteenth-century building. The building's ground floor was built at a higher-than-street level due to the area's particular shape.
P.P. Rubens, San Giovanni Battista in the desert The building houses an important collection of European paintings, both Italian and Genoese, from the sixteenth through the eighteenth centuries. Among these are particularly noteworthy works by Flemish painters Hans Memling, Gerard David, Jan Provost, Rubens, and Van Dyck, along with a masterpiece by Caravaggio (Ecce Homo) and the most beautiful painting produced by the Genoese artist Alessandro Magnasco, Party in a Garden in Albaro.