Via Garibaldi 10 - Lazzaro e Giacomo Spinola
|( See the map )|
|Founder||Lazzaro e Giacomo Spinola|
|Roll 1588||Level 2||Titular Giacomo Spinola q. Federico|
|Roll 1599||Level 2||Titular Giacomo Spinola q. Federico|
|Roll 1614||Level 1||Titular Gio. Batta Adorno|
|Roll 1664||Level 3||Titular Filippo Adorno|
Built beginning in 1562 according to a design by Giovanni Ponzello for Baldassarre Lomellini, at the end of the Eighteenth century the building fell into Cristoforo Spinola's and later Domenico Serra's hands. It is currently owned by the Campanella family.
The building's fa?ade originally bore a fake architectural fresco decoration and was crowned by a monumental open loggia; the sculpted portal by Taddeo Carlone has instead preserved its original appearance. As for many other buildings, we know the building's original appearance thanks to Rubens.
The interior's original decorations, which are no longer visible in their entirety, were by G.B. Castello di Bergamasco. Only a few traces are left of the building's original decorations in the "Stories of Aeneas and Dido," attributed to G.B. Castello, in the drawing room on the raised floor and in the frescoes by Andrea Semino (1569) in a room on the first floor.
The building was refurbished several times, in part due to the French naval bombing of 1684, in part due to the radical renovations, especially of its interiors, by Andrea Tagliafichi and Charles de Wailly for Christopher Spinola beginning in 1770, and finally due to the 1942 air raids.