Via Garibaldi 1 - Agostino Pallavicini
|( See the map )|
|Roll 1576||Level 1||Titular Agostino Pallavicini|
|Roll 1588||Level 2||Titular Francesco Pallavicini|
|Roll 1599||Level 1||Titular Francesco Pallavicini|
|Roll 1614||Level 1||Titular Agostino Pallavicini e fratelli q. Francesco|
|Roll 1664||Level 1||Titular q. Agostino Pallavicini q. Filippo|
Built beginning in 1558 according to a design by Bernardino Cantone for Agostino Pallavicino, an authoritative member of the Republic's government, the building later belonged to the Cambiaso family during the second half of the 1700s. It currently belongs to a bank.
Of relatively modest size, it is enhanced by the fact that it both faces the street and square. The elegant facade's gray stone ashlar masonry gracefully contrasts with the wainscot's white marble, the portal bearing a bucrane frieze, windows, gables, and bands marking each floor, which are decorated with winding motifs. An eighteenth-century shrine is gracefully ensconced within this Mannerist context. In the atrium, note the Cambiaso family's heraldic coat-of-arms.
Banquet hall of the gods On the piano nobile, whose graceful decorations were made when the building was erected, the brothers Andrea and Ottavio Semino painted scenes from the Rape of the Sabine Women in one drawing room, and, in the hall, the Story of Eros and Psyche.