Salita Pollaioli 12 - Agostino e Benedetto Viale
|( See the map )|
|Founder||Agostino e Benedetto Viale|
|Roll 1599||Level 4||Titular Stefano Torre|
It was built on 13th century remains, right behind the buildings separating Canneto from Piazza Nuova (now piazza G. Matteotti).
It was probably begun by the Torre family but most of it was reconstructed by Parige Monteborgo (end of 16th century) and still has an enviable position because of its independence from the surrounding buildings. It was included in the list of buildings "left out because of their small size" (Stefano Torre, Roll of 1599 / 1664) and owes its present shape to Doges Benedetto (1719 - 1721) and Agostino Viale as the result of a new perspective obteined by enlarging Piazza dei Gioardi (about 1669, now piazza Pollaioli). This general resetting brought trade to be set in the basement area, which implied the complete remaking of the grand staircase, whose recent restoration has brought into prominence also the 18th century pediment.