Piazza Sauli 3 - Antonio Sauli
|( See the map )|
|Roll 1588||Level 3||Titular Lorenzo Sauli|
|Roll 1599||Level 3||Titular Lorenzo Sauli|
|Roll 1664||Level 4||Titular Ottavio Sauli|
The palace was built at the end of the 15th century by Antonio Sauli, a rich merchant and banker, the son of the founder of the Basilica di Carignano.
It was founded on a pre-existing palace of the Leccavela family and it still shows the remains of the tower of this family.
A whole series of personalities have owned it, e.g. Sant'Alessandro Sauli (Archbishop of Aleria and Pavia), Lorenzo Sauli (Doge of Genoa, elected in 1599) and the writer Antonio Sauli.
In 1619 Gio Antonio and Ottaviano Sauli modernised the facades, preserving the portal of the late 15th century which displays decorations of the Lombard type.
The initials of Antonio Sauli, the first owner, can still be seen on it.
The palace still retains the original late-medieval setting and along with the one facing it (piazza Sauli 4), formed the nucleus of the "contrade" of the Saulis which gravitated around the loggia of the same family.