Palazzi dei Rolli of Genoa - Italy - World Heritage List

Piazza di Pellicceria 1 - Francesco Grimaldi


Piazza di Pellicceria 1 - Francesco Grimaldi

Piazza di Pellicceria 1
( See the map )
FounderFrancesco Grimaldi
Locality Vico Dritto
Roll 1599Level 1 Titular Francesco Grimaldi q. Gio. Batta
Roll 1614Level 1 Titular Francesco Grimaldi q. Gio. Batta
Roll 1664Level 4 Titular eredi q. Ansaldo Pallavicini

Realized for will of Francesco Grimaldi in 1593, it comes immediately inserted in the rolli and cited in rubensiana edition (ed. 1652; XVI, Palace of Mr. Francesco Grimaldo). It shows itself on the public square of Pellicceria, also conserving the ancient access on the inferior public square of Pellicceria. The palace accommodates the Grimaldi family until 1641, year in which comes yielded to Ansaldo Pallavicini (rollo of 1664) in order to rectify a debit. Tha only sale in the history of the manufacture, characterized from uninterrupted hereditary passages, from the Pallavicini to the Doria and finally to the Spinola at the beginning of XVIII the century. In such occasion the palace comes subordinate to a restructure that mostly regards the open space in the center of the building and, in prospect, the painted quadratures replaced with stuccoes rococò. The building has the own characters of genoese palaces of the late sixtheenth century, recognizable in the system entrance hall/stairs, in the inner courtyard and in the open space. To the majesty of the architectonic system and the splendour of the rooms insides are placed side by side: of great interest are the frescoed vault of the halls, in particular at the first flat "the city of Lisbona besieged from the army of the duke of Alba" and, at the second flat "the triumph of Renato Grimaldi" and "enterprises for the conquest of the city of Zierick-zee" works of Lazzaro Tavarone, beyond to other contributions of Lorenzo De Ferrari. Exemplary, like historical document of the taste, the immense picture gallery of various authors, like Luca Cambiaso, Bernardo Castello, Bernardo Strozzi. In 1958 it is gave from marquises Spinola to the Italian State and currently it accommodates the National Gallery of Spinola Palace. For the equalisation to the new destination of use some jobs of adaptation have become necessary (elevator in the inner courtyard).