Palazzi dei Rolli of Genoa - Italy - World Heritage List

Castello D'Albertis


Castello D'Albertis

Castle of Captain D'Albertis
Castello D'Albertis dominates Genoa, overlooking the port from Montegalletto hill. Designed by Captain Enrico Alberto D'Albertis in the style of architectural collage and neo-gothic revival, it was erected on the ruins of sixteenth century and late-medieval fortifications between 1886 and 1892 under the supervision of Alfredo D'Andrade.
When he died in 1932, captain D'Albertis donated the castle and its collections to Genoa, giving it not only the residence so imaginatively decorated with exotic, neo-gothic and Hispanic-Moorish influences, but also a piece of Genoa's history: a bastion of the sixteenth century walled city containing the ruined foundations of a turret of the previous medieval walls, on which the construction of the castle itself is based.